December 8, 2013

Cardboard Roll Light-Up Winter Village



What do you get with too many cardboard tubes, an Exacto knife, and flameless tea lights? A Light-Up Cardboard Village! 

I started with several cardboard tubes (I cut the long ones into assorted sizes), and then using an Exacto knife, I cut windows into each tube (definitely an adult step). Some had several. Some only had a few. Basically they were all different. Then we quickly painted the little houses. No details or anything too fancy, just a plain color. I was going to paint them all a single color like white or pale blue, but the girls had other ideas. 


For the roofs, I made some simple paper cones. I didn't want them to be too think because I wanted the light to shine through them as well, so I just used printer paper. 


Using some Elmer's glue diluted with water, I added some sparkles (courtesy of CraftProjectIdeas.com) to each of the roofs too! This gave them an extra wintery look! I positioned them all on some quilt batting (also sprinkled with glitter) and placed a flameless tea light in each house. I just set the roofs on top, but you could glue them if you wanted. 

And here is our little village! I had a few tea lights that change colors which are the girls favorites of course, so we used them too! 


Then when you turn the lights off it looks like this! The girls were in love with it, so shiny and colorful! They ran around turning off the lights any time one got turned on just to see it glow!



It is quite pretty, and at the end of the season you can just toss it and make another next year!

32 comments:

  1. I love that they are the kids' creations and that they can feel free to manipulate them without breaking them when you are done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they do! They rearrange them and turn them on and off! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I was pretty pleased with them too; I bet your little guy would have a good time with them!

      Delete
  3. I so have to do this! I have enough paper rolls to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to make some; I know your girls would love them!

      Delete
  4. What a clever idea. It is not only looks good but it is a fun way to get the children involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And really no way to get broken! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Love it! We have our own paper village that my husband did, but this is a lot more kids friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooo....do you have it on your blog? If so I missed it and will have to come look.

      Delete
  6. Ashley - this is wonderful. Totally up our alley. Thank you for sharing on the Homeschool Link-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting and stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This is a wonderful idea! Also, how awesome would it be to make a spooky one for Halloween? Maybe use orange and purple tissue paper for the cones. This is why I follow your blog! So much creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww......how sweet of you to say! You could definitely make one for every season! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  8. This is too cute!! Logging this idea away!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ashley, I saw your link at the Pinworthy Projects party and this is definitely getting pinned! What a great way to use all those toilet & paper towel tubes (that I have a TON of). This is such an awesome idea, me and my girls will defiantly be trying this. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you get to try it out; I'd love to see a pic if you do!

      Delete
  10. Super cute! Thanks for linking up at After School!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic idea. I am loving TRH crafts atm. Have repinned this to my Christmas TRH craft board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and pinning!

      Delete
  12. That's really cool. I love the village and am pinning this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is definitely one of the top greatest crafts I have ever seen created with an empty roll! I am amazed at how beautiful they look! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too kind of you! I am constantly amazed at what people do with little cardboard tubes! Thanks from visiting!

      Delete
  14. Lovely! Thanks for sharing on the #homeschoollinkup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute!!! What a fun project to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fabulous project for little hands! I'm featuring this one at SunScholars this week too! Thanks for sharing!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting and featuring me! They had a great time helping and then playing with them!

      Delete

Don't miss a post! Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Bria and Nadia's Fishes

Blogging tips