January 16, 2013

F is for Fireman




Our first Community Helper for F is Fireman! We were lucky to find a kit on firemen at our library.  It included a couple books as well as a firemen hat and coat. For some reason Nadia did NOT want to try them on!


One of the books was about what to do if there is a fire.  It was a good way to start talking to the girls about fire safety and calling 911.  The also practiced Stop, Drop, and Roll as well as crawling low to the floor to avoid smoke!



Then we did a little experiment with fire.  WARNING: You are dealing with fire, and need to be extra careful! Make sure you are prepared to extinguish the fire and NEVER leave the kids alone with fire!

I started with 2 tea lights.  I lit them and asked the girls how they thought they could put the fire out. First they tried blowing. It worked!



Next they wanted to try water, but I wanted to try something else before we got the candles all wet.  So next we tried smothering the candle with a glass.  This demonstrated to the girls that the fire is using oxygen; when the oxygen is gone the candle burns out.  I also told them they make special fire blankets to smother flames as well.  



Then I let them try water. That worked pretty quick!



Surprisingly the candles still lit, so we had some races.  Blowing the candle out was the fastest, followed by the water, and then the glass.



Then I wanted to show them why blowing out big fires doesn't work.  So I took a bunch birthday candles and stuck them in some play dough really close together, as close as they could be.  Then I lit one on fire and asked Bria to blow on it gently.  After a couple tries it lit the neighboring candles.  I explained to them this is how the wind spreads fires.  She would get one blown out only to have it start again! That is why fireman use water!







We wanted to visit the fire station, but unfortunately our fire fighters were busy with inspections this week, so they didn't have time for a tour.  The girls have been there before, so it wasn't a huge deal. And we did take them cupcakes anyway!  










39 comments:

  1. Love the awe and curiosity in those cute little faces! Fire safety is very important to learn! These are good ideas to help teach the younger ones.

    Thanks for linking up at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas...my son is looking over my shoulder and wants to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kid wouldn't want a chance to play with fire! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. This is a fantastic post! I remember being little and my dad would walk us through different exits out of the house, he would pretend to be a fire and we would have to use direct routes to get out of the house and then meet at our meeting spot. I think it is a great thing to teach children about fire. Great experiments!

    Thanks for sharing your favorite post at Raising Imperfection! We feature our favorites on Friday, make sure to come back and check.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and hosting! Your dad had a great idea to teach you safety!

      Delete
  4. That is super cute! I love when they start learning about safety!

    Thank you for linking your favorite post to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured! Good luck :)

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cute; they get so serious about it. Thanks for visiting and hosting!

      Delete
  5. Wow! This looks great! My kids would love it! I'm going to have to check with our local library to see if they have any learning kits. What a neat idea!

    Visiting from Mommy Moments Linkup. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might suggest it if they don't! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. My daughter just saw this and wants to do it! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to try it! Just be safe!

      Delete
  7. Cupcakes for the firemen! So sweet.

    Thanks for linking up to the Hearts for Home blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I am trying to teach the girls to be more giving and appreciative of what others do. Hopefully it's working!

      Delete
  8. What a great learning experience! I featured it on the kids co-op at Housing A Forest. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy for hosting and for featuring us! I will come by to check it out!

      Delete
  9. What a great post! Do you by any chance remember what the book about fire safety was called? I'm looking for good books to start teaching my kids about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a little coloring book. I really should have made some copies of it. Could you check with your fire department to see if they have anything that give to kids? The other book was just called Firefighter and went through what a firefighter did.

      Delete
    2. I did find this list that may be helpful to you! http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/fire-safety/kids-books/

      Delete
  10. Love this one! Thanks for sharing it! I featured this post on my blog for the weekly kid's co-op. You can find it here:

    http://www.homelearningjourney.com/the-weekly-kids-co-op-124/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kendall! I will certainly visit and share!

      Delete
  11. Those are great teaching ideas. That is great that your library had a kit and then you added your creative ideas to make it more fun. I look forward to seeing more of your ideas on Artsy Play Wednesday.

    : 0 ) Theresa (Capri + 3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting and visiting Theresa!

      Delete
  12. My favorite part of this lesson is how fire spreads. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how big it can get in such a short time! Thanks for visiting and hosting!

      Delete
  13. Grat ideas!!! Fun and yet teaching fire safety too!! Thanks for sharing your post with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post Ashley! I am going to share this on my personal Facebook page! You are such a great mama and your girls look like they enjoyed this activity so much! Thanks for sharing at Party In Polka Dots!!!

    Shelley

    www.piggyinpolkadots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley! They love seeing how things work, and I am glad to teach them a little more about safety! Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  15. This is a fantastic unit on fireman and fire safety! I have pinned this onto my October board for Fire Safety Week. I love the pictures throughout this post with your childrens expressions. Too cute Ashley!

    Thank you for linking up this week to the brand new Hearts from Home Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting and visiting Jill!

      Delete
  16. I love this post, very inspiring and encouraging hands on learning!

    I have a new weekly linky and hope you will stop by and share this post at: http://itsybitsylearners.com/2013/02/preschool-prekinder-nook-1/

    This is our first week and we really hope you'll come and be part of our growing community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for inviting me! I will come link up for sure!

      Delete
  17. Thank you so much for linking up your post at Apologia's Homeschool Science Share and Tell! We appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! I hope someone found it helpful!

      Delete
  18. Seems like you had a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a good time; hopefully they learned something too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  19. Wow! Just love this! I especially like how you did all the demos with flames and let the kids take part. Thank you so much for linking up to this week's Discover & Explore!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, these are great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss a post! Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Bria and Nadia's Fishes

Blogging tips