January 8, 2013

Colored Snowballs


During our recent winter weather our house developed large icicles which intrigued Bria.  She asked if she could have one. I figured why not? So in came the icicles along with another container of snow.

The first thing they all wanted to do was eat the icicles.  That brought up the question as to if the ice was dirty, so I set up a quick experiment,  I placed some icicles in a coffee filter and used a rubber band to secure it to a cup. Then we just had to wait while they melted.



Once they finally melted we could clearly see dirt left behind in the coffee filter.  Obviously icicles are NOT clean.


While we waited for the icicles to melt we also painted with them. The girls were amazed that they could draw on the paper with icicles even though the pictures disappeared when they dried.


Then they headed over to the snow.



I asked them what the snow was made of, and they knew it was water but they were a little hesitant about believing it after seeing the icicles which were clearly made of water.  So it was time for another experiment.  I asked them if they thought snow would make water beads grow. So we watched, and it did.  They grew even before all the snow melted although by the time they were full size the snow was also gone.





After exploring snow for a little bit, I mixed some water and food coloring and got out some paintbrushes.  I let the girls use the paintbrushes to paint the snow.


The had a good time with this until Bria decided to stick an entire snowball into the water.  I actually thought it would melt more then it did! Bria had made a colored snowball!


This quickly became the new favorite activity, and soon we had several balls of all the colors. Bria even started squishing the colored balls together to mix new colors.




Nadia tried dipping the icicles in to change them color, but it didn't work of course.


So they just continued playing with the snow until it was all colored! I for one would love to only play with snow inside, but I think they would miss sledding and snowman building! It was fun while it lasted though!





17 comments:

  1. These look like fun projects that my 2 year old son would enjoy! Thanks for sharing. I invite you to come link them up at my Pinterest Tuesday link party!
    Erica
    We Three Crabs
    http://ericabarker.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica! I'll come check it out!

      Delete
  2. Great activities! I will be sure to pin this!! Thank you for sharing it with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice collection of ideas for little ones! All our snow has melted, so as soon as it's back, we'll be squirting some colour on our creations too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I hope they have a great time with it!

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I've brought in snow before, but never thought to add color. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I hope you have a good time with it!

      Delete
  5. Neat post! I love how you made a science experiment with the snow and waterbeads (we love those!) Thanks for linking up on Share it Saturday!
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and hosting Leanne! If I can make it into something hands on I try to; I feel like it sticks better then!

      Delete
  6. So fun! I will be featuring your delightful snow ideas this week on the Kids Co-op at Housing A Forest. I would love for you to stop by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! I will definitely come visit!

      Delete
  7. Oh, so much fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment on all the posts Carrie!

      Delete
  8. This is so great!!! I can't wait for it to snow here again so I can do this with my little ones!! Thank you for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I hope they enjoy them!

      Delete
  9. How fun! This looks like something my boys would love, so thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for visiting Waldorf Wednesday. Hope to see you back soon!
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/waldorf-wednesday-link-up/waldorf-wednesday-20/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to do it with them; I know my girls really enjoyed it! Thanks for hosting and visiting!

      Delete

Don't miss a post! Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Bria and Nadia's Fishes

Blogging tips