November 15, 2012

Ice Jewels



The past couple days the girls have been talking about snow.  I guess it started when we saw some tiny flakes Sunday. and while I am dreading those little white flakes (I am NOT a cold weather person), they are excited about them.  None of them stuck of course, but I am sure they will soon enough!  

Last year we didn't have a whole lot of snow, but we certainly had enough (more then enough for me).  One day I decided to freeze some colored water in ice cubes for the girls to play with in the snow.  I just threw them in the snow for the girls to find.  


They were excited when they found them.  They actually rushed around to see who could collect the most of the "jewels" as they called them.  It was funny to watch them if they dropped one because it was quickly engulfed by the snow.  They had to fumble around and find it and brush all the snow off again all faster then the other one who would also dive for the lost jewel.



They each decided to take a side of the fence and line their jewels up on it.  They really looked quite pretty against the white snow.




This is definitely an activity we will have to repeat this year if (wishful thinking there) it snows!




22 comments:

  1. Stopping by from EHM Blog Hop - love this idea! Can't wait till we get our first snow. We tried the bubble blowing from Pinterest, but that didn't work... and last year we never got snow that was packable to do a snowman, so if we get snow that isn't packable again, I'm going to do this!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ~Bekah @SonshineTotSchool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! We tried the bubble blowing and couldn't get it to work either! The girls had a ton of fun with this though!

      Delete
  2. What a fun winter activity! Love it! I bet my boys would love hunting for snow treasure! http://www.craftinterrupted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! It is fun to find the bright colors in the snow; I hope you get a chance to try it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ashley, I just found your blog through the Made with Little Hands Monday link up. We played with colored ice last winter and your post has me excited to do it again. I love how you call them "ice jewels" and they look so pretty all lined up on the fence.
    By the way, your girls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! The jewels part was definitely my daughters addition! I appreciate you visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  4. How fun! It never snows here, so we'll have to live vicariously through you. I love the idea. So clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! I would love to not have snow; I'm not a cold weather fan! Might as well have fun if we have to have it though!

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a fun winter activity. We will have to try it next time we get some snow. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance too; I saw a few flakes today! That's for hosting!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun,clever idea! It looks so pretty =-)
    Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for outside play! And I love how carefully your girls lined them up on the rail.

    Thanks for linking up on Waldorf Wednesday. I hope we'll see you back this week! Feel free to add multiple links since we were off last week.
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/waldorf-wednesday-link-up/waldorf-wednesday-13/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette! Do you have a button I could add to my Places I Share page? I haven't been able to find the code for one. It would be great if you did! Thanks again!

      Delete
  9. I love these. I sooo want to do this with our playschool children. Thanks for sharing at All Year Round Blog Carnival: Winter. I featured this on my blog today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/12/winter-carnival-highlights-december-30th.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! I hope you get a chance to try it!

      Delete
  10. Love this idea. Found you on Full Hands, Full Hearts. The kids will love this. Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I hope you get a chance to try it!

      Delete

Don't miss a post! Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Bria and Nadia's Fishes

Blogging tips