Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Fairy Potion: a Fun Spin on a Classic Science Experiment

Fairy Potion: a Fun Spin on a Classic Science Experiment

My girls are always fascinated by baking soda and vinegar reactions.  They just love that sudden fizz! Just for fun I decided to do it again and to add dish soap for some foam!  I was preparing it when I saw the girls running around with fairy wings on and decided to add a bit of magic (glitter of course) too!


Common Science Experiment made even more fun

Supplies Needed for Fairy Potion

  • Large clear vase or glass
  • Deep sided pan
  • Vinegar
  • Dish Soap
  • Food Coloring
  • Baking Soda 
  • Glitter (ultra fine)

How to Make Fairy Potion


I started by filling a glass vase halfway with white vinegar and squirted in some dish soap.  I added some red food coloring to get a pretty pink color the girls would like. The pan around it is to catch the foam.

Mix vinegar, dish soap, and food coloring.

Then in too little cups I mixed baking soda and glitter to make "fairy dust." The girls were so excited when they saw their fairy dust!

Baking soda mixed with ultra fine glitter
Our Fairy Dust

I asked them if they thought their fairy dust could create a magical potion if they combined with with the pink liquid.  They were certain it could!

So on the count of 3 I let them dump in their fairy dust.

A spin on classic baking soda and vinegarFairy potion is a spin on a baking soda volcano.

The reaction was quick, so Bria didn't get hers in before it came bubbling up.  After it slowed a little I let her add her fairy dust and it started again!

Be sure you have a pan under it to catch all the foamHands-on science for kids

They had a lot of fun playing in the foam.  In fact they wanted to do it again!

Sparkly foam fairy potion experiment

Fairy potion is  fun sensory experience too

So we repeated it with green.  Then they wanted to show their dad.

More fairy potion science in greenMake a foamy, fun eruption

Kitchen science funFairy potion is science and sensory fun

So we repeated it with blue (well Dawn dish soap colored since I was out of blue food coloring)! Eli was awake now, and he loved it too!

Change up this simple kitchen science with other colors



I think they would have kept doing it over and over if I hadn't been running short on baking soda!



Bottom Ad [Post Page]